RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting something new that will control 2 collars. My only pervious experience is with a Dogtra collars. I am really looking at the Tri-tronics Flyway or the Pro 100. The only significant difference between them is that they have difference numbers of continuous and momentary stim levels. The dogtra's had a dial that you set the stim level with and that is the stim level for both cont. and momentary.

So why do you use what you use? I have searched theads going back and folks say that they pick one because it fits their style......the only problem is I dont really have a style yet :D . With my first dog I followed the Tri-tronic book for collar conditioning, but I have recently picked up the smartworks series and like that as well. I know I will pick one program and go with it, just not sure which one at this point........

oh, as for my goals and such; I am an avid waterfowler, have always had really good dogs but never really been able to get them to their potential, in other words, I have been the weak link..... I would like to be a stronger link, do some hunt tests, who knows...maybe train him to be the first Champion of the Universe :lol: basically give my new pup what he deserves.........

thanks
RJ

·
Registered
390 Posts
I use a pro 100 and I don't use the momentary button, Mine is set on 3 and I use the low, med or high continous, and if I need just a knick, I use the low or medium continous button. How you use the collar you choose is really up you.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I use a Pro 500. I use in continuos mode most of the time, but momentary for FTP.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have a Pro 100, and I have just figured out how continuous pressure dovetails with the FF process. I have seen great improvement in my dog since his idiot owner/trainer figured this out.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
So what are the advantages of having more settings for cont vs momentary?
If you are asking for the advantages of having 18 level continuous and only 6 for momentary, I'd say because the use of momentary for collar fetch and FTP is such as small part of the dogs lifetime training that you can get by with 6. I don't really use momentary other than that. I like the 18 levels of continuous because that is where I spend most of my training. Dial in the rough number on top (1-6), and give L, M, or H burn or nick as required. Nick vs. burn by how long you hold the button. Rarely need to step up on the rough setting with a given dog.

But, then again, I use the pro 500 which has 18 momentary and 18 continuous.

edit: I don't really use the collar in continuous mode for a burn until the dog complies with the command kind of deal. Some use it this way for FF by a low burn until the bumper is in the mouth, then release button. Also, some use it that way for here and other obedience commands. While this is logical as that is the way we do with ear pinch, when I do collar fetch its a momentary nick, as in fetch-nick-fetch. Same with here and sit, its here-nick-here or sit-nick-sit.

·
Registered
390 Posts
To add, I went to the Pro 100 from the Flyway G3 more due to the level I needed in continuous was inbetween, and monetary was getting it done but not to my liking. Having the low, med and high continuous made life easier.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Trying to nick with the continuous button is not nearly as effective as using the momentary. The stimulation has a much different pace I guess is the best way to say it. I pretty much keep my collar on continuous, use nicks for CCing and FTP though.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I do like having the greater choice of continuous vs the momentary on the collars ..... you can always make a continuous into a momentary (nick), but you can't make a momentary into a continuous!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I use a pro 500. Started with a flyway which is essentially the same as the pro 200. I found when working on CC I had to big of a jump between levels of correction. I think the flyway is set up with 18 levels of mementary and 6 levels of continous. I use continous most of the time whether it be holding the buttons or giving nicks so the gap between 2-3 for example was to big. Love my pro 500 and wouldn't have any other transmitter in the tritronics line. I also have used Dogra and really like their rheostatic dial. I think they have a good product and wouldn't be afraid of getting one of their ecollars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts