RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time involving the stud dog.
What, if any, restrictions does everyone place on their stud dogs immediately prior to a breeding? For example, I know training him in the heat right before the breeding wouldn't be the smartest thing to do. What about the day before? Two days before?
Any other things people do or don't do?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I dont ever do a breeding after theyve been fed. Always before. No other limitations that I can remember

G

·
Same here not right after they have eaten and I don't breed in the heat. I also dont let mine go swimming before or while shes being bred I'm afraid he could pick up bacteria and give to the female. I also dont let a lot of people around my husband handles the breeding and usually the female owner can be out, but if it bothers my male or upsets female to much I have them go inside and view thru the window. I like the owner to witness the breeding if possible or I video tape it .

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I once bred to an older stud after he had been training on AA marks in the heat and he was unable to breed. I did not appreciate that after a 7 hour drive, then another 3 hours to get an AI which yielded one puppy and a c-section. Got home 18 hours after I left. I would never do it again, so if the dog is going to have a heavy training day and is older, give the bitch owner a break and tell them to find another stud.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I don't train him the day before or the day of the breeding at all. He just lies around the house. I didn't know about the no swimming thing, that's interesting. I'll add that to my mental list of "don't do". I was only thinking about heat and its effect on sperm, not about bacteria so that's good to know.
Whew, I can't imagine him breeding if he's just eaten, he'd get sick for sure.
Just want to be sure there aren't other "don't do" things that I don't know about. It's a job and I take it seriously.
As an aside, he breeds well naturally, but my stud contract specifies that the breedings are all to be done in a vet's office with veterinary assistance. It's safer for both my boy and the bitch, and then it's quite well documented that a good tie was achieved, and for how long. Haven't had any of the bitchs' owners complain about doing it that way yet. If he needs help with his aim, there's someone there to help him. Being an obedience dog, he backs off if I get near him as he thinks he's going to be told to "leave it".

·
Registered
234 Posts
Can I tag on to the OP thread with another question?

How often do you breed as long as the bitch is standing and allowing to be breed? every other day or once every day ?

I know the sperm lives for what is it like 3 days. I have read recommendations about every other day.

I just bred my bitch and the stud owner goes by breeding every day as long as the bitch is standing and willing.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this question.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Also be aware if the stud dog has been on antibiotics any time close to breeding as that may lower the sperm count. 2nd question: My experience is every other day and hopefully three ties that should give you 7-8 days to cover. Some skip two days, but that limits your chance for the third tie.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every other day here, too.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Heat is big factor that can and do kill sperm.
Swimming never heard of that.
Working a fit and healthy male or female during(use common sense here) breeding hasn't affected any breedings that I have done .
My biggest pet-peeve is the people that don't want to spend the money and do progesterone tests.
I tell them right up front "I can poke and hope" but I don't guarantee anything.
Bitches have a very small window of opportunity to get bred.
I also don't have "Stud Dog Contract" that I have anyone sign.
I do have requirements ................health clearances,etc...
I don't use a Vet. unless I need one. Then I go to a Repro. Vet. only.
IMHP
Sue

G

·
swimming wont kill sperm its more of not wanting to infect the female with bacteria at this stage of her cycle. We have a canal where my dog does most of he's work I would not feel comfortable swimming him than breeding its just my choice. We dont work him out while shes here, never breed in heat, heat does affect sperm. Breeding can take alot out of a male especially if its a difficult female.
I don't let them run loose the female is held, its very controlled. ( I do have a stud contract). We have always gotten a natural breeding never had to take one to the vet. I do require progestrone tests be done as well as a brucellosis test. I have done a few AI's but that involved collecting, shipping the sperm , we use canine cryobank in Ca . We usually breed every other day for a totlal of three breedings

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have recently learned that, as Sue said, heat is probably the biggest factor but what I did not realize is that it can take TWO MONTHS for the sperm count to recover if you've been training hard consistently in heat. So it would seem to me that getting a very current semen evaluation would be a good idea if you're breeding to a hard running dog during the hot months!
I understand about the bacteria and swimming, just never thought of it. Some of the stuff my boy swims in I would NEVER want to introduce anywhere near the bitch's uterus. Yuck!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Barb, I think that the girls have more bacteria to "offer" the boys than the girls do to the boys just because of the plumbing involved.
If you are useing your "Boy" often than a sperm evaluation isn't really needed unless he is missing bitches.
Dog sperm is often killed by heat, fresh blood, bacteria(prostate infection)etc..
"Most" of the time it's the cheap uneducated bitch owners that don't want to use progeterone tests for timing.
Dr. Greer in Lomira is awesome as well as Care Animal Hospital in Arlington Heights(I've used both for breeding and collection).
I would also encourage you and others "If" they have a nice dog to collect when the male is young. I waited too long on my "Ozzie' and never did get a good collection. :(
Sue

G

·
I had a female coming in for a breeding a few yrs ago the vet did her brucellosis test progestrone and a vaginal . He found she had a very serious infection if he hadn't taken her in it would have passed to my boy.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Sue! So far I've been very fortunate that the bitch owners have been very willing to do the progesterone testing as often as needed. I often use Animal Care and Repro. services in Westmont, I've used Dr. Coyne at Midwest Animal Hospital in Mokena, and it's good to know there are a couple more that aren't far. The nice thing about Midwest Animal Hospital is that they are willing to board a bitch in season.
I did collect Tito once already, I have some frozen. I plan to do it again, just waiting for a call from the repro. vet that they have a teaser. I prefer to use theirs rather than bring my own if possible!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts