What would you start with?

• One (1) $4,500 pup with FC-AFC parents

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You are buying a new pup and have the finances and the training available to push it to FC-AFC. Which would you rather start with, one $4,500 pup from a FC-AFC to FC-AFC breeding or three $1,500 pups from an FC-AFC sire to QAA, MH or great pedigreed bitches? Why?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would go with a pup from a very nice hunt test titled bitch. How many of the last few NFC's are from FC AFC Dams? There are some very nice hunt test titled bitches out there that are capable of running in the big game, but the owners don't want to go that route. I am having a litter the middle of May that will be more than capable of running in field trials and being competetive, and my girl is just MHR. She definately has the talent and I will probably run some Qual's next year to see what she can do. Good Luck on your future FC AFC. Hopefully someday I can own one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Let's assume all else is equal...

all the dams (the FC/AFC and others) are from the same litter, all clearances are the same, they're all being bred to the same stud, and it's a 1st breeding for each girl...and I have the ability to give 3 pups what they'll need for the 1st 6 months of their lives....

I'd go with the 3 $1,500 pups, just to play the odds... :D

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
KJB said:
Let's assume all else is equal...

all the dams (the FC/AFC and others) are from the same litter, all clearances are the same, they're all being bred to the same stud, and it's a 1st breeding for each girl...and I have the ability to give 3 pups what they'll need for the 1st 6 months of their lives....

I'd go with the 3 $1,500 pups, just to play the odds... :D

I agree.....

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Ken Archer said:
one $4,500 pup from a FC-AFC to FC-AFC breeding
yep, that one for me

why? because odds are better of getting the best from the best

and no one would socialize all three the same, they would pick one they liked better and give it more time

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am afraid that I would go kennel blind if I paid $4,500 for a pup. The best A-list trainer in the world would have one hell of a hard time convincing me that I should washout that pup when I know he's the best thing to set foot on this earth.

On the other hand, as one old cowboy said, "If you got two cows, one is better that the other one." All three of the $1,500 pups might be good enough to title, but the odds are extremely good in my favor that at least one of them will be outstanding. Ed, you might be right.

Just saying.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Ken Archer said:
Ed, you might be right.
any litter can have duds, even from the best, but the chances of getting a high end national type competitor are greater from really great bitches

this is not to say that some really fine dogs have come from untitled bitches and there are examples of great bitches who have not produced well, but for me I'll take my chances with one from the best litter that I can afford

·
Registered
122 Posts
If money was no object (no worry there :wink: ) I would buy the best of the best that was available, no matter what the price..........but I could just as easily buy a pup from the FC AFC x QAA MH breeding.....but just ONE. I don't think having three pups at the same time, allows you to bring out the best in them, even if the breeding is terrific.....I don't care how hard you try......someone (or two) is going to get the short end of the deal! I would opt to see the pups go to several different people.......spread the joy around and up the chances of maybe having several really good dogs from the litter........

Norene S.
Nordom Chesapeakes

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would go for the 4500. I would want the best litter I could find and afford and would put my money, and I am, on the litter that has the best odds of producing highly competitve animal, from the best bitch that I can find. My thinking is that the pup from the FC x QAA/MH may be able to be competitive at some point in time but I feel that the better breed dog maybe get their a bit sooner and be competitve a bit earlier than the other...

My situation is skewed in that I do not have the time or skills right now to train my own dogs so I use the services of a Pro. So that means that I would have 3x the training bills for my three 1500 pups.

Now if I had the resources I would buy 3 from the 4500 litter.. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts