RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Per the Rules how should You do the Math

• a)Straight Line Averaging: to find the arithmetic mean of a series of unequal quantities

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • b)Weighted averaging: to find the arithmetic mean of a series of unequal quantities adjusted to refl

• c)Other- plase explain below

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following( quoted below) is taken from the AKC HT Rules.

Based on it , which of the following methods are correct for doing the MATH portion of ones Judging Assignment

a)Straight Line Averaging: to find the arithmetic mean of a series of unequal quantities.
Using a) a perfect score is 10 for all birds
Example: ACE 3 marks = 30 for an average of 10 for a perfect score on 3 birds

b)Weighted averaging: to find the arithmetic mean of a series of unequal quantities adjusted to reflect value.
Using b) the value for a perfect score can be less than ten.
Example: Ace three birds with values of 10, 8, and 6= 24 for a weighted average of 8 for a perfect score on 3 birds

c) Other

Using any method a failure is -0-, also the passing average requirement of -7- with no one ability's average being less than -5- remains in full force

You can imagine that b) becomes quite the mathematical equation if you were to additionally attempt to assign values to the various series. We will save that for another time unless it surfaces under c) Other

Regulations for Retrievers
Chapter 3,Part II - Evaluation and Scoring of a Dog's Abilities

A Judge must keep in mind the fact that he is evaluating numerically, a defined set of abilities and not judging a dog in relation to the performances or merits of the other dogs entered. A dog's abilities are scored against an established standard.

The Judge observes and records in what respects and to what degrees the abilities have either exceeded or fallen short of that established standard.

In scoring a dog's abilities in a Test, the Judges must assign a numerical score from "0" to "10" that reflects their estimation of each ability that they have seen demonstrated.

To qualify, a dog must receive an overall average of seven (7.0) for the entire test and must not have an average score in any one ability category below five (5.0). For example, a dog could score 7s, 8s or even 9s in some ability categories and fail to qualify if the average score in another category was below five.

A frequently asked question is how to determine what score "from 0 to 10" should be given in any one ability category. One method is to determine whether the dog should qualify in that ability category, that might mean a minimum score of five. Knowing the dog must have an overall average of seven, the Judge considers whether other abilities deserve a seven or higher. With a five or less (but not with a zero by both Judges), the dog would have to score higher in that ability and other abilities to acquire the 7.0 overall average. A score of 5.0 or less on a given ability during a series does not necessarily mean that the dog cannot receive a qualifying score, unless both Judges score that ability as a zero.

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
According to Jerry Mann and Joe Pilar, and the rules you quote below, how a judge determines his numbers is up to him as long is it reflects the principles and purpose of testing retrievers against the standard.

/Paul

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I "ONCE" judged a FT with a person that must have learned from you.

I drank two beers while this person was "doing the math".

Jerry

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Jerry said:
I drank two beers while this person was "doing the math".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shayne Mehringer said:
WTF are you talking about John?

Shayne
Just what is it you can't seem to "GET"
john

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Shayne, you are a computer geek, you should be able to understand him. I did.

I have just never heard it in THIS context before! :lol:

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AmiableLabs said:
John,

Please allow me to introduce you to William of Occam --

http://skepdic.com/occam.html
This part Works for me!

"On the other hand, if Occam's razor means that when confronted with two explanations, an implausible one and a probable one, a rational person should select the probable one,............................"
8) :wink:

Between a) & b), to say b) is merely implausible would be an assault on ones intellect.
The rules specifically call for perfection to be graded a -10-.
It is no more rational to grade Perfection less than -10- than it is to grade Failure more than-0-.
john

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
achiro said:
Russ,
Ya caught a few of those b) voters on film.
Good work :wink:
john

·
Registered
530 Posts
Imagine this scenario, It's a rainy Sat. morning and John is
your co-judge in a 75 dog master test. The last dog in the 1st
series is walking back to the truck. John looks and you and says
"how do you want to score this thing?"

Bert

·
Registered
892 Posts
Just don't use a T - score average or you will have everyone fail except one dog. I had a proffessor in Dynamics that used this method to fail 90% of his classes each semester.

(thinking about it, this method of scoring may be helpful in eleminating lots of dogs on the first series and determine a winner in the second series)

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Russ posts the boobies - full size
John copies the boobies - full size

And we wonder why there isn't enough bandwidth?

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Shayne Mehringer said:
Let us all take note, Ted does not like boobies to be full size.

Shayne
Shayne, this would be more accurate

"Ted does not like boobies to be full size and repeatedly cut and pasted to the detriment of bandwidth."
Because the mere statement "Ted does not like boobies to be full size" would be contradicted by the fact that I happen to like both you and Russ.

Ted

·
Registered
300 Posts
Ted Shih wrote:
Russ posts the boobies - full size
John copies the boobies - full size

And we wonder why there isn't enough bandwidth?

Let us all take note, Ted does not like boobies to be full size.

Shayne
But what exactly is full size.

Is it an eye of the beholder thing, is there an arbitrary cut-off, or does John have a complicated formula for determination?

Pondering regards,

·
Registered
942 Posts
...and to think, at most Comedy Clubs, you'd have to pay to get humor of this quality.

Humor Filled Regards,

Joe S.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts