RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Your given a choice of two dawgs. Littermates, both just finished their derby careers. Based solely

• Dog A - 2 wins, Derby List... never made it out of the second series in the other trials.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I took doggie A, even though it's awfully hard to believe the little bas.... err... yeah, couldn't get out of the 2nd in 13 other trials.

Decision based on potential brilliance, instead of a life of mediocrity.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I picked Doggy B - I'm really hoping that Doggy A is a flash in the pan, "One Hit Wonder" never to be heard from again(Sorry Chris! :wink: )

I counting on Doggy B to have what it takes to put it all together with a little maturity and kick some doggy butt in the higher stakes.

Andy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Dog B finished all his trials even tho he/she didn't place. To me that means potential is there for further training and work towards the Am and Open.

Reo

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
derby dogs

I agree with AC! Just get me to the final series everytime and we will win our share of the BLUES! Lets not forget that trails are won or lost in the final series and ya can't earn the BLUE it your not at the dance.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yeah, but what if...
Dog A was dropped for a easily remedied problem?
Dog B was a pig?
Dog a was amateur trained?
Dog A was working on "pure instinct" and very limited training?
Dog B looked like a poodle?

Way to many factors dude. No way to decide this for me.

But just so you don't get upset :D I picked dog A, hoping that something specific was getting the dog in trouble and it could be taught to do it right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
achiro said:
I picked dog A, hoping that something specific was getting the dog in trouble and it could be taught to do it right.
My guess was the dang thang was such a hotrod, he had just a slight breaking problem. :D We can work on it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
My guess was the dang thang was such a hotrod, he had just a slight breaking problem. We can work on it.
----------------------------------------------------------
OR Dawg B has all the potential, but the trainer/handler is keeping the dawg from reaching its pinnacle!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I picked dog B, consistency is worth more than a flash of brilliance. Dog A sounds like a manic depressant, one day kicking butt and the other dragging it.

3DK

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
a or b

Yeah, but what if dog (a) walked to the birds like a pig and dog (b) had the easy problem to remedy. As far as Amt. or Pro trained, doesn't make any difference. I know a lot of top Amateurs that are tougher on their dogs tham some Pros I know! Consistency is one of the keys when evaluating young talent. Especially in Derby where the task vary so much from trial to trial.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I picked "B" just for the consistancy. If that dog gets us to the last series, that's where I want to be. "Never up, never in."

Jerry

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I call my 2 y.o. the Green Weenie. He had a marking problem on his first Derby but picked up every bird in the next six he ran. He is a great marker, but he can be very innovative in getting to the bird. I suspect we will be working on water cheating for the rest of his carrer.

I think you have to look beyond the Derby record and watch the dog work under various conditions.

Russ

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Dog B because.....
One JAM or Placement or even two out of fifteen tries, in my opinion ranks well below fifteen finishes( CONSISTANT). With a little luck it could have had 20+ Derby points. As you all know ,the difference between a JAM and a placement could be, and in a lot of cases is, a couple of "squiggly" lines or a" hooked gun"or a med. hunt or maybe a little "caving into a factor".
None of which mean much in the "big picture".
John

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Getting into the last series is nice. I like it!!! Ok, with that off my chest it doesn't do you any good if you aren't placing now and then. Greenies are OK but that's not why I'm trialing. One blue every 7.5 stakes? Hmmmm, OK I'll take him :D

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't have the experience you guys have in this but when I read about this, some dogs I have seen came to mind. They were treated harshly IMO to quickly get ready for derby, they were very poor markers as they grew up but would run as strait as an arrow once they were lined up. They were afraid to go off that line(IMO). They did ok in couple derbies because they were lined up just right that day. Around 3 years old they shut down several times and couldn't do much of anything.

Long term I'd much rather have dog B and have a dog through his prime.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
derby

But Howard, dog B's situation might be that he has been getting a lot more pressure in training and is more capable of finishing a Quailfying today, than dog A, which maybe hasn't seen anything beyond Derby marks his entire life.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
dog B's situation might be that he has been getting a lot more pressure in training and is more capable of finishing a Quailfying today
We don't know anything about either dog. To read something into a pretend situation is stacking a house of cards higher and higher. We don't know anything so why assume things. Blues mean he was best two times. Greenies mean he finished but never one of the top 4 dogs. Who knows why. I'll take proven brilliance to proven mediocrity. Now hows that for reading sh*t into a pretend scenario?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dog A can mark. Period. He likely has mental issues. Working out mental issues is probably the lesser evil than the dog that is probably not a very strong marker.

I think Dog A might do something for you in the AA stakes assuming you can harness that talent.... Dog B's ability to stay in there and EVENTUALLY find the bird everytime will not be so appealing to AA judges.

Shayne

1 - 20 of 33 Posts