RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are there any rules on age for running in HRC Hunt Tests? I have a 9 year old son that is gearing up and practicing to run a Started test in August. Our whole family is very new to this game.

We have a three year old lab that has finally decided that the retriever thing is fun. My wife ran him through a started test with flying colors last weekend. It is a perfect opportunity for my son and dog to run a test. My son is really getting into it.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
No age requirement. The only thing is your son will have to walk the dog from holding to the line on lead. flat collar not slip lead. Before holding if you need to help no problem. Tell your son to have fun and make sure he wears his camo shirt.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Make sure you let your son practise alot. The last test I was at the boy said the dogs name and forgot to let go. The gallery always likes it when the kids get to play.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
My son started when he was about 9 by running my finished dog in started. At 11, we got him his own pup and by 13, he had put an HRCH title on her. Encourage it as much as you can.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My son started when he was about 9 by running my finished dog in started. At 11, we got him his own pup and by 13, he had put an HRCH title on her. Encourage it as much as you can.
Thanks for the encouragement. He is very interested, so much so that he helped me run wingers at a hunt test for much of last weekend and loved it. He comes by it honestly, My wife and I both love labs. She grew up with a K9 officer father so she has been around dogs and training her whole life.

We are both very excited for him.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Personally I love seeing the younger handlers run test, lets me know the sport has a bright future. I ran the Music City HRC test this past weekend there was you man around 8-10 (not sure the exact age) handle a dog and pass both days in started. Get'em in it for sure.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts