RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 month old YLM that hasn't been around a female in heat yet. Soon he will be as a friend I train with is expecting his female to go very soon. What can I expect? Should I hold off on training around this female until she is back to normal? They won't be running around together, but I'm a little concerned that the smell will be too much for him. Am I overthinking this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn't do anything.....We usually have the females in heat run last...... AND we expect the rest to perform to our normal standard....... Might cut some slack for a new youngster........but everyone else should perform...... For all you know......There could be a female in heat on the training grounds a few days before a trial......... Boys need to learn to work thru all types of distractions...... I'd also hold my girls in heat to the same standard........ Hormones don't work for me..".

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
He needs to learn to deal with it. It's a great opportunity to proof your training!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Run the female first not last and let him get use to it. That way the day you show up on line at a hunt test and the female prior to you just came out of heat or just beginning will not bother him. Of course you show not have to have that at a hunt but it happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ran into the same situation not long ago at a fun day. In talking with my trainer who was there, he told me it was actually a good thing. The males need to be around situation like this so they get use to it and learn to train through it. When they go to the line it is time to get down to business no matter what. As mentioned above, you never know when you are going to run into a female at a hunt test that is coming out of heat and cause the same issues. Train on!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts