RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've all had at least ONE time we were on line running a dog and something went WAY wrong...

What went wrong and how did you handle it???

It may have been embarrassing, funny, scary,humbling etc.etc. You know where I'm going with this.

Post up your experience.

My idea so i have to start. There are a few but, the one that comes to mind most often is:

I had just moved up to field trials from NAHRA tests and had only run a few trials.

I was, as Judy Aycock says the guy that drove 10 hours with his one dog to run. I'm running the open in Canada with Gator. Normally I would run the Am. and Dave would run the open. Not so this time. (can't remember why) The first series was land marks with an honor. No big deal we've seen enough of these.. So I thought. Without going into great detail about the set up. The line was on a hillside and the dog ran down the hill and into a valley for the marks. The honor dog was about 5 to 10 feet left and just behind the running dog.

We run our marks and do well. We move to the honor box and get set up. The running dog and handler are taking all day. ( I do remember who it was and he is notorious for having wild and creeping dogs) In the mean time Gator is watching all this and getting board with his antics. The handler says " honor dog ready" I say SIT.. then soft yes. One more heal! From the running dogs handler and the birds are called for.

Now with any of my hunt test dogs I would be thinking PLEASE don't break and stay put!!! I knew Gator wasn't going anywhere.. At least not far

When I would air Gator and just let him stretch. He loved to roll around on his back and kick his legs in the air. I don't mean like any dog rolling in a dead fish. I mean like a horse rolling in a dusty lot on a hot day and kicking his hooves and snorting!!

The judge raises his book to signal the guns and at the same time Gator lays on his back and starts to ROLL!! The first gun goes off. Gator is rolling on his back and kicking me in the legs with his hind feet.

Second gun goes. He's 3 feet in front of me and really starting to enjoy his roll!!! I am dyeing! Thinking we did a good job on the marks and now we're going home. I know I can't say anything to him that would for sure send us back home. So I stand there and watch. Thinking OMG...WTF

By the time the 3rd. gun goes he is 10 feet away from me and 20 feet away from the running dog and a long way DOWN the hill.

The running dog was 5 feet in front of his handler by now. Judge says to handler re-heal your dog.. Re-heals and sends dog. (Gator still kicking and rolling)

Judge says to me: I guess you didn't have to worry about him breaking on that one......You're excussed.

I wanted to craw under a rock and hide. That was a very Looong walk back to the truck.. Of course the gallery was between me and my truck..

We were called back....We went out but I don't where

Thanks for listening, Randy

What's yours???

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
about 20 years ago, i was handling my first Lab on a water blind in a NAHRA test. we got to the critical part- a scented point. as i gave her my cast, the ENTIRE GALLERY GROANED IN UNISON!

as you may surmise, things went south from that point. (PUN INTENDED)-Paul

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I guess ai have a few to choose from.....

The biggest ah s$&t moment was after running the first of two dogs in a nahra senior water test, the last series of the test. Rudy had been good all day, and ran a nice war series. Beamer was last dog to run, he was running for a milestone, not a title but a milestone on the way to a title. As a couple of us sat in the gallery we discussed how the wind had just changed, and now the hot blind was very much in play. Instead of up wind twenty yards deep of the memory bird, now if you dog got ten to fifteen yards deep he was in the scent cone.......

So we get to the line, Dog on platform, handler in waders knee deep in water. Bird one bird two bird three..... Step on go bird, come back step on the tough little short bird many dogs had had trouble with, and take a great line for the memory bird. I KNOW at this point I have a handle to use. He has been clean all day with only one cy short hunt, I also know that about ten yards up on the bank is a jail term, the bird is right at waters edge. Beamers great line misses the mem bird by about two feet on the upwind side. He gets just short of where I was going to blow the whistle and circles back. Now I have run boat loads of tests with this dog and trust him, too much at times, but I have always felt we get in more trouble from my over handling then we do when I trust him so once he circles cak, I am in full blown trust mode. Whistle is in my mouth but it might as well have been in my truck..... So he is crocling back, and he again misses bird by just. Few feet on the wrong side, starts a little big circle which I know at the bottom next time will put him on bird. Problem is the top put him in the scent cone. He gets to the top of his left bending circle and take a hard right hand turn, behind a clump of bushes. So know he is out of sight, fifteen yards downwind of a hot blind when I finally blow the whistle...... I blow. Hard comein whistle, and he does come in, on the wrong side of the clump, another sit whistle, he is now staring at hot blind.... LEAVE IT. OOVER. He picks it up, Another sit whistle this time with bird in mouth. I look at judges and ask, know thing the answer but clarifying, we are done right, the test is over, we are last dog so test is over. Yes coes the confirmation, so I take the three what were supposed to be celebratory beers out of my wader pocket and hand one to each judge, give the call in whistle and have mine well begun by the time beamer returns..... On the way back by the gallery I had several people that said if they had had all been blowing their imaginary whistles for me but it didn't work! That screw up was the only blemish on what would have been a seven for seven weekend, passed Rudy in three senior and an intermediate that weekend and beamer slammed the other two senior tests.

The other rivals the honor story previous..... We are honoring, in this particular test working dog comes up, runs a blind, pretty tight honor if I remember not too terribly far apart maybe ten feet. So you honor the blind then watch the triple, released when dog is halfway to go bird..... Dog before us was not in heat, was not spotting, no swelling, but apparently smelled good. In the holding blind beamer started snorting around, get him out of the holding blind, he goes into work mode and we do well on the series. Then after delivering last bird, he puts his nose down and is full blown snort mode again. I have some trouble but get beamer moved to the honor position where he is now IN LOVE with the ground, licking the grass snorting. Crawling around, not quite rolling but he might as well have been. Working dog comes up, starts the blind but blows up, after several whistles and refusals he picks up the dog, he apologizes to me for the equivalent of a no bird, and the judges tell me I can take beamer off the line if I want too while we wait for the next dog. Beamer has not looked up this entire time. I say I think we are ok here, so this all continues the five minutes it takes for the next dog to get there. Dog comes up, starts the blind, beamer has decided he wants to follow the scent back to the working dog side so he belly crawls across the mowed path and is now snorting at the feet of the handler running the blind licking the grass, his boots etc.. At this point I am panicked because I need to get him back on my side of the mowed path before the working dog returns. Luckily he belly crawls back to the honor scent patch where he never lifts his head to watch a bird or send. We are released from honor and after some difficulty I get him to leave the spot........ No other dog showed any interest in the spot or the dog for the rest of the day in the following series. The owner of the dog ahead of us offed to catch some of her pee and for a modest fee I could have some to help with future honors, we declined. And she started spotting the next day.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Many years ago, I ran Taffey in my first (and only) "Qual" at Stoughton. The first series was a triple with a long retired gunner up the middle. She was good with the two shorter marks, but when I settled her in for the retired she wasn't too solid. I gave her some time and finally said, "Taffey!" She immediately looked up at me and said, "What?"

How did I deal with that? First, I took out my lead and we slinked back to the van. Secondly, I realized we were in "over our heads". And lastly, Taffey spent several training days on retired guns plus "GO AS SENT"!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
our very first JH test my boy decided to try to retrieve the entire pen of live birds from behind the gunner's station. Heck, why should he go get just one dead one when he discovered the mother lode??
Luckily it was too heavy for him to drag it very far. Also luckily he was already handling well enough that I called him in from behind the blind, and cast him to the shot flyer.
The judge said, "nice save".
We passed.
(note to self at that test...huge hole in training...dog has never encountered live birds in the field before...)

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
I remember a NAHRA test in the early 90's at Ricky Borne's property in the beautiful Catskill Mountains of NY State. Paul Young was judging with a southern co-judge that I'd not seen before.

They had a water test set up with short swims, pretty basic, but there was some cheating temptation. Champ was my first dog. He and I ran, alot, like we were new to the game. This day was one of those.

Champ ran around the pond on all three marks of the triple and didn't even get wet until the last bird. The most embarassing part: When I took the memory bird from him, and he'd not even gotten wet to get it, I said "shake" out of habit. I don't recall if he shook or not. I do recall that he was bone dry at that point and had no water to shake off. I also recall that the southern co-judge, that I'd not met before, folded our page over right then.

I also remember a young hunt test pro named Alan Pleasant was there running. When he gave an over cast, he used both arms. All of his dogs looked very nice. His wife Gwen was marshall and she had a cool little dog that rode up front in the truck. That was the first time I'd seen someone's "truck dog".

Rex Bell's dog Bay Creek Dan looked good that day - he always did. Ricky Borne's dog out of Wilderness Harley to do did a great job that day. Lindy Hochberg had a dog named Star who always ran really well.

Thanks Randy. I had forgotten this whole thing until I started scanning the memory banks for an "aw crap" moment. This one popped to the top. Along with it came a few more that I'll not bother writing about. Champ and I had many a moment of this kind, handling each other through NAHRA tests from '88 through the late 90's.

Pondview's Gator was one of those dogs that Champ and I always envied.

Chris

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well, if thats your worst moment, you've had it EASY. ;) ;)

The first time I ran a dog was a Qual, running my wifes (girlfriend at the time) hunt test dog. Flash went out and nailed the flyer, then pooped 5 feet in front of the line before delivery. Then he got the second mark with no problem. On the last bird, he had a huge hunt and eventually worked his way back into the flyer. I tried to handle him out of it with zero success. I attempted to call him in, again, zero success. I finally had to
walk out into the field and get him. After getting him in, I cleaned up his pile from in front of the line.

I must be a gluton for punishment, because I kept coming back for more :D

Trying to keep the judges busy with jokes for a minute or two.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Had a similar issue with my boy running after a female. She took a leak in the holding blind and my dawg went nuts. It was a meaty senior test set up by great judges who believe in testing dogs at their level just what we like. Dog at ran solid up to this point. Front footed his land marks, lined the blind, went to water blind, challenged the very well laid out line to the blind with 1/2 dozen whistles which i was happy with as he took his cast and we had not done a lot of long angle entries at this point. Them comes the female issue. His nose was stuck in the puddle. Tried keeping him out of it but he just sat there and slobbered slithering back to it. He wnet to the line foaming at the mouth. Short splasher bird and about a 95 yeard go bird with short swim, exit and run up an incline diagonally to the bird. Sent him on the go bird, he lied to me and got the splasher, took it, turned to hand it to the judge, turned back to see an empty spot where he used to be. First time he ever pulled that stunt. Honestly the dog had no clue where that memory bird was, first time dealing with that, he has hunted big before but never not made area of fall. Heck, he never made it out the water. Handled him to the mark. Turned amd asked the judge how that was scored and got the reply of "am ugly azz mark". Personally thought he was being generous with saying that. Took the dog back to the truck and he pizzed at least a dozen times acting like a **** dog on a track minus the barking. The. Proceeded to wait the longest 2 hours of my life waiting to see if we passed for our title. I really wanted this test to be our title as it was absolutely the best senior test we had seen as far as set up and was happy to see our training paid off till then. Thankfully the rest of the test averaged us out and we passed. A W is a W in our book. We had sense ran the exact set up after females in our training group. He is definately a lover

·
Registered
272 Posts
In Canada, new to the Qual, very nervous, lined her up on left side for the bird, took my time, showed her all the marks like I had practiced, then lined her up perfectly for the last bird to be thrown!!!! Somehow she saw that first bird that went down thrown on the right even though she was on the wrong side of me!!! She has saved me many a time:)

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I had a club open won against a local AFC. Best water blind that dog ever ran and I knew one judge didn't want to give it to me. She came back to heel and when I reached down, she bit the bird in two.

I turned to the judge and said, "Well, that makes your job easier."

I miss that dog. She was hard to handle, but quite a character.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Well, if thats your worst moment, you've had it EASY. ;) ;)
Normally I would agree yet Knothead was not a smooth-poop operator. It was an event that included creeping to evenly distribute a painfully slow drop while hiking a leg and hopping along to make sure we all saw his greatness.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
1989. Running a young Chessie male in JH. First bird landed along a wood line, and I sent him. He loped along toward the bird...until a pretty yellow butterfly got his attention, and he decided to go chase that, since it was moving and the duck wasn't.

He never did make much of a dawg, but he was a sweet boy. ;)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
While at the line trying to line my dog up, My male peed on me. I turned around and looked at the judges, wonderin if I was out. Theyy said as long as they dont pee on their lunch. We passed!!
Other dog while at a HRC test I sent for a blind on water, she just swam circles trying to drink rhe whole pond dry.
I didnt know what was going on, then relized, that since I was Marshalling and ran last dog. I have not gave her any water all day>

·
Registered
280 Posts
not my dog but one of the funniest things in 40+ years of field trials - a dog ran the test - missed a bird and would not come in and owner went to get her upon getting her back and behind the line the dog jumped in the garbage can of birds - all you could see was the wagging tail sticking out of the plastic container - happened years ago but still one of the great moments in my field trial career -
trog

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
My most DAH moment came at my FIRST attempt at passing a dog for a HRCH title. Had done all the land and water great. Was honoring the working dog and he had sat through all of that. Judge excused me I stood up and said "Billy" needless to say he beat the working dog to the mark and returned. I was so mad at myself for failing my dog. Never forgot that.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
We've all had at least ONE time we were on line running a dog and something went WAY wrong...

What went wrong and how did you handle it???

It may have been embarrassing, funny, scary,humbling etc.etc. You know where I'm going with this.

Post up your experience.

My idea so i have to start. There are a few but, the one that comes to mind most often is:

I had just moved up to field trials from NAHRA tests and had only run a few trials.

I was, as Judy Aycock says the guy that drove 10 hours with his one dog to run. I'm running the open in Canada with Gator. Normally I would run the Am. and Dave would run the open. Not so this time. (can't remember why) The first series was land marks with an honor. No big deal we've seen enough of these.. So I thought. Without going into great detail about the set up. The line was on a hillside and the dog ran down the hill and into a valley for the marks. The honor dog was about 5 to 10 feet left and just behind the running dog.

We run our marks and do well. We move to the honor box and get set up. The running dog and handler are taking all day. ( I do remember who it was and he is notorious for having wild and creeping dogs) In the mean time Gator is watching all this and getting board with his antics. The handler says " honor dog ready" I say SIT.. then soft yes. One more heal! From the running dogs handler and the birds are called for.

Now with any of my hunt test dogs I would be thinking PLEASE don't break and stay put!!! I knew Gator wasn't going anywhere.. At least not far

When I would air Gator and just let him stretch. He loved to roll around on his back and kick his legs in the air. I don't mean like any dog rolling in a dead fish. I mean like a horse rolling in a dusty lot on a hot day and kicking his hooves and snorting!!

The judge raises his book to signal the guns and at the same time Gator lays on his back and starts to ROLL!! The first gun goes off. Gator is rolling on his back and kicking me in the legs with his hind feet.

Second gun goes. He's 3 feet in front of me and really starting to enjoy his roll!!! I am dyeing! Thinking we did a good job on the marks and now we're going home. I know I can't say anything to him that would for sure send us back home. So I stand there and watch. Thinking OMG...WTF

By the time the 3rd. gun goes he is 10 feet away from me and 20 feet away from the running dog and a long way DOWN the hill.

The running dog was 5 feet in front of his handler by now. Judge says to handler re-heal your dog.. Re-heals and sends dog. (Gator still kicking and rolling)

Judge says to me: I guess you didn't have to worry about him breaking on that one......You're excussed.

I wanted to craw under a rock and hide. That was a very Looong walk back to the truck.. Of course the gallery was between me and my truck..

We were called back....We went out but I don't where

Thanks for listening, Randy

What's yours???
Funny….I had a similar issue with my dog….Thank God we were training at the time. She was on honor and decided to do the same thing. I said to myself “What the Hell” and just watch. My mentor shouts…”What bug crawl up her a$$”. I turned around and said…What do I do? He said….”Do nothing….She’s being a bitch today.” I thought about that one for sometime.

·
Registered
946 Posts
My first ever junior test (AKC) with my first dog. Came to the line watched the pigeon get shot sent my dog and she hunted in the tall grass forever and finally starts coming back. As she gets close is see to my horror a red mass with a few white feathers sticking out. I take the meat and realize the pigeon is inside out so I walk over and signal for the next bird and while doing so I am trying to make the pigeon look like a pigeon again because I think my dog has mangled this bird. I watch the dead duck hit the ground and then send my dog and just as I do I realize the judges have not said dog, I turn around and say "oh $&@?". I then hand the judge the mostly restored pigeon and the judges talk to each other as my dog comes bouncing back with the duck. They say they are sorry buy they have to drop me. And then the one judge finally looks at the pigeon and says " oh I better go talk to the gunners and have them take out their chokes and take away the #4 shot.
I case people are wondering the dept of fish and game came and confiscated all of the birds from the test at 8 am because one bird at the farm they came from tested positive for avian flu so the club used whatever irds they could get apigeons for junior and senior along with frozen ducks still pretty frozen when I ran and a few chukar and frozen ducks for masters.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Watched a handler run a dog in the final series of Master test and pick up marks great and run the blind then walk over to honor and then the judge asked them... Why does your dog have a collar on??? Made it easier to honor on leash for the poor handler. Sometimes handlers miss the obvious things and fail the dog.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts