RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 6 months we have spent countless dollars and hours trying to figure out what has caused a type of rash and hair loss on the belly and now new areas of my lab. Allergy test, Thyroid test, and now the vet has him on soloxin(thyroid, not real low) and prednisone. I have been wondering for some time if its the flea and tick meds?? Have any of you done away with these meds completely?? Not sure what to do but the meds he is on now, has him panting(side effect) and he just seems aggitated. Just want whats best for him and need your help. Biggest question do I stop the flea and tick meds because we just recently found a few on him????????Thanks

·
Registered
716 Posts
Have you tried a shampoo that is pH balanced? My dog gets red pimples and a rash on his stomach and a simple pH shampoo corrects the problem.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
What are you feeding?

Less grain products is more gooder regards

Bubba

·
Registered
236 Posts
My boy, would get round areas of hair loss on his belly, under arms, and rear end. Looked like ringworm or hotspots. It would flair up then start to heal, repeat ad nauseum. I finally paid enough attention to realize it started as soon as I started applying the topicals in spring. It would start to heal at the end of month then flair up at the begining of next month. It was the topical flea meds, I tried several different brands with the same results. Stopped those and I never saw it again. I went to Comfortis. Don't apply them for a few months and see what happens.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Could be topical flea products and a trial without them for a few months would definitely tell you. Can you tell us what testing you had done specifically and what anti-biotic and anti-fungal treatments you have tried? You also have the option to go see a board certified veterinary dermatologist who may be able to help you get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
You also have the option to go see a board certified veterinary dermatologist who may be able to help you get to the bottom of it.
X2, you will ultimately save time and money. Pharmacological experimentation is sometimes warranted but when things are tried in combination and something works how would you know which one? If nothing else leave the prednisone in the bottle.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are you feeding?

Less grain products is more gooder regards

Bubba

Its been proplan his whole life and for the last 2 years the salmon flavor. If you have a better choice I'm a listening. Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If nothing else leave the prednisone in the bottle.
I hear ya. With the extreme heat we are having, I don't even want to train because I'm fearful of the possibilities.

Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I wouldn't feed Purina anydamnthing to the neighbors goat.

Find a dog food with NO corn and LOTS of dead critter.

I had the same problems for years and after switching to grain free products- my dogs glow in the dark.

Carnivore regards

Bubba

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The ProPlan salmon (Sensitive Skin & Stomach, by name) has no corn. A great list of ingredients actually.

That doesn't necessarily mean your dogs will do well on it though. But mine do.

JS

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
A friend of mine went through the same thing. VERY bad rash. Turns out it was the MAT the dog was using, rubber type from one of the major makers of dog boxes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts