RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta tell ya, it's been a while since I did basics. I kind of hate it. Dumbass dog acts like it doesn't know a thing! :lol:
Seriously, this bitch is gonna learn it, do it, or end me.(I think she would prefer the latter right now) :wink:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have to agree with that. Have done 3 pups in the last 4 years. Am having a hard time working up the enthusiasm with this last one. I think each one is worse than the last at learning this stuff. And to think I used to enjoy doing puppy basics. :(

Anne

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Delete!

M

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just started formal obedience with my 5.5 month old, day before yesterday. Would rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick. :roll:

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Dang you Miriam! I was going to quote your post so you couldn't delete! You beat me to it!

It's happend to me before regards... Trying to edit an error real quick, and someone has already quoted it. :oops:

·
Registered
708 Posts
This is an easy one for me...Force Fetch ear pinch was by far the worst for me. I did not mind OB, collar fetch, CC etc but if I ever do basics again on another dog I will be having someone else do that one part. Man did my back hurt ...mostly from the wrestling matches we would get into. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Buzz said:
Dang you Miriam! I was going to quote your post so you couldn't delete! You beat me to it!

It's happend to me before regards... Trying to edit an error real quick, and someone has already quoted it. :oops:
I'm trying not to embarass my dog before he comes home! :oops:

Question though: Do most dogs come through basics w/ a great attitude?

M

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
FORCE ON THE TABLE WHEN YOU REACH A TRANSITION WHERE THEY THINK(?) THAT THEY AREN'T GOING TO DO ANYTHING BUT GRIT THEIR TEETH AND BARE IT!!!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Force Fetch has always been my least favorite. I just keep telling myself that once it's over, everything else is relatively easy.

Jerry

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Swim-by for me. It's soooo boring, yet so very important. I remember one summer I had 8 of them on it at one time. I was ready to start my hair on fire I was so bored with it.

Angie

·
Registered
9,387 Posts
SIT SUCKS!!

Gooser

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Do most dogs come through basics w/ a great attitude?
Many breeze through it. I am of the school let a pro do the basics because they are the foundation to everything and I hate it so my attitute is going to suck.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My least favorite section of training is when you run into a problem at any point the makes everything else have to stop,slow down, or back up.Especially if it's something simple.My dog is very excitable.When calm he moves along at a pretty good pace.When he's excited it all goes out the window.At his last hunt test,our line manners were nonexistent.You would think we never work on that at all.He get's so jacked up and it really is holding us back.I've found no magic bullet for this.I just keep exposing him to it all as much as I can.Some advice I've read here has helped but progress is slow.One thing that has helped quieting and steadying him has been alot of "no birds".He does obedience classes,(anywhere from 6 to 15 dogs in a class),group training sessions(3 to 6 dogs),I take him everywhere I go.When he's excited it makes all of the simple things hard.I have alot of confidence that we'll work it out but it's frustrating to be slowed down when I see how well he can do when he's calm. ( I still like him though).

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
ErinsEdge said:
Do most dogs come through basics w/ a great attitude?
Many breeze through it. I am of the school let a pro do the basics because they are the foundation to everything and I hate it so my attitute is going to suck.
Different stokes for different folks. I like doing the basics as I get to see the dog's reactiont to training, corrrections, and I think it builds our relationship. Having taken 4 dogs through basics, even though they are all related, grandmother, mother and daughters, they ALL react differently. I have learned a lot as a trainer with the different attitudes. Knowing thier attitudes and their reactions to training and pressure helps me to know when to correct, when to use attrition and when to teach more.
I hardest part for me is transition, finding the channels needed for cheating singles and channel blinds is so VERY difficult around here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts